Daniel James Howell (born 11th June 1991), formerly known by his YouTube channel name Danisnotonfire, is a popular English YouTube celebrity, vlogger, comedian, former radio host, and Internet personality.
AboutHe was born in Wokingham, Berkshire, England. He currently lives in London, England with Philip Michael Lester (aka AmazingPhil). Dan is 6'3" tall (6 ft 3 in/192 cm). Dan uploaded his first YouTube video on 16 October 2009, titled "Hello Internet," having previously watched YouTubers for three years. He started making videos when a few friends, including Phil Lester, convinced him to upload videos to his own channel. Dan attended Manchester University in 2010, studying Law, but dropped out after a year, as he realized law was not a path he was able to take, and it made him upset and angry. He eventually dropped into a stage of existential crisis (of which he is still dropping in and out of), and took a gap year off - never to return, as he decided to pursue a career as a YouTuber instead.
As of January 2013, Dan and Phil had their own radio request show on BBC Radio 1. However, in September 2014, they changed up the show so it is now called the “Internet Takeover." It is still at the same time on Mondays at 9:00pm, but now, a YouTuber or internet star comes in every week to host the show. Dan and Phil still do the show the first Monday of every month. Dan and Phil eventually ran out of YouTubers, and now tend to do the show every week themselves, with the rare occasion of a YouTuber, which most of the time has already appeared on the show, reappearing. The Radio Show ended on April 25th 2016.
As of the 1st of May 2017, Dan has changed all Social Media over to the handle Daniel Howell and has announced that this will now be his permanant handle for the forseeable future however nothing else will change and Dan will keep to his previous way of things.
External Youtube Channels
Dan has a second youtube channel named "danisnotinteresting " which he uploads videos he deems irrelvant to his main channel.
Along with Phil, he is also one of the presenters of the Super Amazing Project, a YouTube video series from My Damn Channel, encompassing scary/freaky happenings sent in by viewers, challenges between the two presenters, and strange news from the previous week. The show spanned for three series, however Dan confirmed in a YouNow broadcast that except for seasonal specials, there will be no series 4. Its legacy was carried to their radio show. The Super Amazing Project now has 2 brand new hosts.
Dan and Phil have also created a joint channel called DanAndPhilGAMES where they play video games and record it. They made this channel in September 2014 after turning their radio show into the "Internet Takeover," leaving them more free time.On March 27, 2015, Dan announced, with his friend Phil, that they wrote a book together called The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire. It was released October 8, 2015, and it apparently includes what really happened in Vegas. Along with the book, Dan and Phil will also be touring around the world to promote their book and meet fans. The tour, called The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire, kicked off on October 8, 2015 in Glasgow, Scotland.
Dan and Phil created a channel called "DanAndPhilCRAFTS" on April 1, 2015, announcing the same day that it was just an April Fools joke. However, many fans believe that they will somehow find a way to use it by posting videos that aren't fit for either of their channels or their gaming channel. At Summer in the City 2015, Dan and Phil were presented with a Silver Play Button for surpassing 100'000 subscribers on this channel. Since April 2015 DanAndPhilCRAFTS has had two more videos uploaded to it with the most recent in 2017 rumoured to be the final video as Phil is 'Sacrificed' by Dan to 'Satan'
In The Media
On 15th April 2013, Dan and Phil interviewed Fall Out Boy in New York City on their comeback tour. They also appeared briefly in the audience on Fuse TV for Fall Out Boy's appearance. They have also interviewed One Direction at the 2012 Radio 1 Teen Awards.
Dan and Phil also appeared in the movie Big Hero 6, as Technician 1 and Technician 2 respectively. (UK Cinema version only).
It was announced in November 2012, that both Dan and Phil will host BBC Radio 1's request show, on Sundays 7pm.-9pm, starting on January 13, 2013. The show is fully interactive, allowing listeners to call in to request a song and doing challenges to get it played ("fan wars"). On the website, music videos are shown which fans have made and emailed to Dan and Phil. The entire show is streamed in video, live on the BBC Radio 1 website.
In August 2013, Dan and Phil received a Sony Golden Headphones Award for the UK's favorite Radio Presenters, voted for by the fans. Sundays, 7.00pm- 9.00pm (UK Time), Radio 1 Request Show (a.k.a The Dan and Phil Show) with Phil Lester:
- The radio show timing has been changed to Mondays from 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm (UK Time) as of September 1st, 2014, and is now known as the "Internet Takeover".
Awards and Nominations
In 2012, Howell was voted "Hottest Lad of the Year" by readers of the web magazine Sugarscape.
In 2013, Howell and Lester were voted the UK’s favorite radio presenters and winners of the Sony Golden Headphones Award, presented by the Sony Radio Academy Awards, for Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1. In the same year, Howell placed first runner up in Sugarscape's Hottest Lads of 2013, a competition he had won a year before. He came in second to best friend Phil Lester.
In 2014, Dan, along with Phil was nominated for the 'Best internet Collaboration' award for the Teen Choice Awards. Dan was also nominated for and won the Lovie Internet Person of the Year, for the Lovie Awards.
List of Subscriber Milestones
- On the 4th of Febuary, 2013 Dan hit 1 million subscribers
- On the 30th of July, 2013 Dan hit 2 million subscribers
- On the 1st of January, 2014 Dan hit 3 million subscribers
- On the 11th of September, 2014 Dan hit 4 million subscribers
- On the 20th of August, 2015 Dan hit 5 million subscribers
- On the 10th of August, 2016 Dan hit 6 million subscribers
- He voiced Male Technician #1 in the Disney movie 'Big Hero 6' (UK cinema version).
- His hair is naturally a more wavy side of curly, but he straightens it, as he hates his so called 'hobbit hair'.
- He and his best friend Phil (AmazingPhil) were massive fans of Muse, and their favorite album by the band is 'Origin of Symmetry'. Dan is also a big fan of the American rapper Kanye West.
- He used to include a "sexy endscreen dance" at the end of his older videos.
- His favorite colors include black, white & gold.
- He used to mention British television host and cookbook writer Delia Smith a lot in his videos.
- One of his favorite snacks is Maltesers.
- Dan once mentioned, jokingly, that his favorite onomatopoeia is "microwave".
- He can play the piano and the drums.
- Dan was ranked 5th place in the Top 10 YouTube Lifestyle Vloggers video of WatchMojo.com's "TopX" series.
- Dans best friend and housemate Phil Lester (AmazingPhil) is the creator of the popular mobile app The 7 Second Challenge along with Dan.
- He wrote the best-selling book The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire along with Phil Lester.
- *SPOILERS* Dan and Phil created a Sims 4 character named Dil Jamechal Howlter. His name is a combination of their names. He is featured in many videos on their gaming channel. Dil has a wife named Tabitha and a son named Dab. Dil was also as of June 14th pregnant with an alien baby after being abducted in the previous video .*SPOILERS*
- He's left handed
- As of the 1st of may 2017. Dan has changed all of his Social Media to Daniel Howell and seems to be abandoning the 'Danisnotonfire' handle permanantly.
- Second Channel
- Gaming Channel (with Phil Lester)
- The Super Amazing Project (with other YouTubers)