Ángel David Revilla (born July 16, 1982 [age 35]) better known as DrossRotzank is a Venezuelan, writer, narrator and comedian, residing now in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Starting his carrer writing humorous and satirical articles on his blog, "El Diario de Dross" (Spanish for Dross's Diary), about controversial subjects, such as politics, religion, science, urban culture, between others. He opened his blog in 2005 at the age of 23, although more basic and less "fancy" versions of the blog were online since 1998.
In 2008, he began uploading videos on YouTube, as a sort of "extra" for some of his articles already written. In 2008, he uploaded "Dross juega I Wanna Be The Guy" (Spanish for "Dross plays I Wanna Be The Guy"), and since it got good reception, he decided to start uploading videos on a regular basis.
Dross started uploading videblogs, giving his opinion on viral and/or relevant subjects; always with a bit of an usual dark humor. His most known classic era videoblogs (from 2007 to 2013) are about religion and science.
The actual schedule in his video list is filled, mostly, with terror and mystery narrated videos.
Dross' persona origins
The story of the character, Dross, goes back to the times when he used to troll at, in that time, popular videogame-themed Spanish speaking forums, such as Vandal and Meristation. The nickname was adopted when he first signed up at Vandal, and based the username on a WWF fighter, Warren Droz, mispelling "Droz" and writing "Dross" instead. As his posts on the forum were quite succesful, he decided to keep it beyond the mistake.
He has remarked in many times the difference between the character he plays and the real entity behind it. This has served his audience as a sort of guide on what should be taken seriously and what not. While the videos in which he appears with a hat and glasses are in a humor tone, those that include Revilla as it is before the camera are referred as videoblogs of a more serious theme. He also stated in an interview with TNX Magazine: Power:
- How similar is Dross to yourself?
- As similar as Dr. Jekyll is to Mr. Hyde; distant, but dangerously close.
As a writer
Aside from his job as a humorist, the author wrote three books published up to date - claiming to have written 5 books, some of which are an autobiography, including his inspirations as comedian and author, and how he managed to get a considerable following on the web. Other examples can be quoted as " El Festival de la Blasfemia" ("The Blasphemy Fest") .
Two short stories can be found in old web records, such as "Carnaval Negro " ("Black Carnival") and " La Guerra de Ysaak ", ("The War of Ysaak"), both of them being sent to different editors around the world. The first episodes of Carnaval Negro can be found on his blog, where a full version of The War of Ysaak is also available.
Some other short written stories and novels such as "El Rey Padrote" ("The Pimp King"), "Tiempos Difíciles" ("Hard Times"), "The Legend of the Knight" and "The Shadows from below" also dwell the Stories section of his online home.
List of subscriber milestones
- Hit 50,000 Subscribers On May 20, 2011.
- Hit 75,000 Subscribers On September 28, 2011.
- Hit 100,000 Subscribers On January 8, 2012.
- Hit 200,000 Subscribers On June 13, 2012.
- Hit 300,000 Subscribers On October 16, 2012.
- Hit 400,000 Subscribers On December 25, 2012.
- Hit 500,000 Subscribers On February 7, 2013.
- Hit 600,000 Subscribers On March 27, 2013.
- Hit 700,000 Subscribers On May 19, 2013.
- Hit 800,000 Subscribers On July 23, 2013.
- Hit 900,000 Subscribers On September 26, 2013.
- Hit 1 Million Subscribers On November 10, 2014.
- Hit 2 Million Subscribers On February 19, 2014.
- Hit 3 Million Subscribers On May 22, 2014.
- Hit 4 Million Subscribers On September 11, 2014.
- Hit 5 Million Subscribers On January 29, 2015.
- Hit 6 Million Subscribers On June 8, 2015.
- Hit 7 Million Subscribers On November 4, 2015.
- Hit 8-11 Million Subscribers From 2016 to 2017.
List of video views milestones
- Hit 10 Million Video Views On July 8, 2011.
- Hit 25 Million Video Views On March 31, 2012.
- Hit 50 Million Video Views On October 12, 2012.
- Hit 75 Million Video Views On February 21, 2013.
- Hit 100 Million Video Views On July 27, 2013.
- Hit 200 Million Video Views On March 13, 2014.
- Hit 300 Million Video Views On May 13, 2014.
- Hit 400 Million Video Views On July 23, 2014.
- Hit 500 Million Video Views On September 16, 2014.
- Hit 600 Million Video Views On November 16, 2014.
- Hit 700 Million Video Views On January 23, 2015.
- Hit 800 Million Video Views On March 23, 2015.
- Hit 900 Million Video Views On May 10, 2015.
- Hit 1.0 Billion Video Views On June 26, 2015.
- Hit 1.1 Billion Video Views On August 18, 2015.
- Hit 1.2 Billion Video Views On October 21, 2015.