|Headquarters||San Bruno, California, U.S.A.|
|Key people||Steve Chen, Founder & CTO|
Chad Hurley, Founder & CEO
Jawed Karim, Founder & Advisor
|Type of site||Video hosting service|
|Registration||Optional, But Required for Features such as Comments, Uploading Videos|
|Launched||February 15, 2005|
YouTube Spotlight now ranks as the 11th most subscribed on their website. They as well hold the title of having the most subscribed 2005 created and American channel for the most amount of time on their website by surpassing Smosh on September 23, 2013, although TaylorSwiftVEVO surpassed the channel for the most subscribed American channel spot for a month and a half prior to YouTube Rewind 2017 before permanently surpassing the channel in the middle of January 2018. Furthermore, they have the most subscribed July created YouTube channel after surpassing 2006 joined YouTuber, nigahiga the same year and is also the most subscribed channel affiliated with news delivering.
All of the videos on YouTube's channel has been viewed over one billion times since December 2016 as well.
YouTube has over 2 billion users, it is one of the top online sites and it has an Alexa ranking at number 2. The site has several features, such as subscribing to users whom you like, this is also known as subbing or subs. Favorites videos you can save on your channel page and come back and watch at a later time. YouTube is one of the best online sites that is free, the only catch is that you must join to comment which is free, and that copyrighted material may be removed.
The displayed resolution of YouTube is 640x480 (480p), so it cannot display HD videos. However, if a video uploaded is 640x480 or higher, a small link appears below the video saying "View In Higher Quality". If this link is clicked, the quality is slightly improved, and now HD has been added.
You must be 13 or older to register an account on YouTube although this rule is often broken by new registered users.
Music, Gaming, And Sports are all YouTube Generated Channels. They technically are the most subscribed channels but due to them being auto generated, it doesn't count.
Format and Quality Comparison Table
|Standard||Medium||High||HD||Mobile||Old formats (pre 2009 Feb)|
|fmt value||34, 38||18||35||22||17||none||6||13|
|Video||Encoding||MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)||MPEG-4 Part 2||H.263||H.263/AMR|
|Aspect ratio||4:3, 16:9||4:3||16:9||11:9||4:3||4:3|
|Max Resolution|| 320×240|
| Sampling rate
YouTube was purchased by Google around the time of 2006. Some say it has changed some of YouTube's policies though most of the site continues to work the same.
Several new features have been added to YouTube in the following years.
- Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down - Is a rating system used to rate comments that are liked by users or disliked, these can be seen on videos that allow the thumbs to be on it.
- Insight - This is a feature that tells you about your video, such as ratings, where it was viewed, how popular it ias, and other recently new breakdowns upon views such as where the most viewers are from.
- Audio Swap - Is a feature that will allow you to add or change the sound on your videos.
- Annotation - This is a feature that allows you to add notes on certain spans of your videos.
- Channels Beta - A new style of channels that have been extremely unpopular with many YouTube users.
- Ban from YouTube button - Only YouTubers that have 100,000 subscibers have this button.
If you want to know more about YouTube Rewind, please click here.
- The official YouTube channel's join date was once December 31, 1969 oddly enough, though the actual join date was sometime between July 20-22, 2005.
- The YouTube Spotlight channel interacts with it's viewers frequently on the "community" tab of their channel.
- YouTube holds the record of gaining the most subscribers in a single year on YouTube, gaining over 18.1 million subscribers on their channel, jumping from over 945 thousand subscribers at the beginning of 2013 to over 19.1 million subscribers by the end of 2013.
- Through November to December 2013, YouTube Spotlight was the most subscribed YouTube channel. They are the only non user generated most subscribed channel.
- YouTube Spotlight was the most subscribed YouTube channel 3 times. However, it's second reign was so short, many don't remember or even know. So the channel is only recorded to be the most subscribed twice by most people.
- During their reigns, YouTube Spotlight was the first channel to hit 16, 17 and 18 million subscribers.
- YouTube Spotlight has the most followers on Google+. Second is Google+ itself.
List Of Subscriber Milestones
- YouTube hit 1 million subscribers on January 15, 2013.
- YouTube hit 2 million subscribers on March 10, 2013.
- YouTube hit 3 million subscribers on March 29, 2013.
- YouTube hit 4 million subscribers on April 15, 2013.
- YouTube hit 5 million subscribers on May 7, 2013.
- YouTube hit 6 million subscribers on May 28, 2013.
- YouTube hit 7 million subscribers on June 20, 2013.
- YouTube hit 8 million subscribers on July 9, 2013.
- YouTube hit 9 million subscribers on July 24, 2013.
- YouTube hit 10 million subscribers on August 9, 2013.
- YouTube hit 11 million subscribers on August 27, 2013.
- YouTube hit 12 million subscribers on September 12, 2013.
- YouTube hit 13 million subscribers on September 29, 2013.
- YouTube hit 14 million subscribers on October 16, 2013.
- YouTube hit 15 million subscribers on November 1, 2013.
- YouTube hit 16 million subscribers on November 14, 2013.
- YouTube hit 17 million subscribers on November 29, 2013.
- YouTube hit 18 million subscribers on December 14, 2013.
- YouTube hit 19 million subscribers on December 30, 2013.
- YouTube hit 20 million subscribers on January 16, 2014.
- YouTube hit 21 million subscribers on February 5, 2014.
- YouTube hit 22 million subscribers on March 22, 2014.
- YouTube hit 23 million subscribers on July 14, 2015.
- YouTube hit 24 million subscribers on February 3, 2016.
- YouTube hit 25 million subscribers on December 10, 2016.
- YouTube hit 26 million subscribers on December 7, 2017.
- YouTube hit 27 million subscribers on December 15, 2017.
List Of Video View Milestones
- YouTube hit 1 billion views on December 14, 2016.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20130203200319/http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTube
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100616095234/http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=3D&view=subscribers
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100616094101/http://www.youtube.com/user/arnito
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100612070831/http://www.youtube.com/user/savioshow