|Headquarters||San Bruno, California, U.S.A.|
|Key people||Steve Chen, Founder & CTO|
Chad Hurley, Founder & CEO
Jawed Karim, Founder & Advisor
|Type of site||Video hosting service|
|Registration||Optional, But Required for Features such as Comments, Uploading Videos|
|Launched||February 15, 2005|
|Date Joined:||December 31, 1969|
|Date Shut Down:||N/A|
YouTube is a video site where users can upload their own videos. It was founded in 2005 and has became very popular across the world. There have been some controversies with copyright infringements. As of November 2nd, 2013, The YouTube Channel is the #1 Most Subscribed Channel on YouTube. On December 8th, 2013, The YouTube Channel was beat by Pewdiepie, but then got back to #1 one day later on December 9th, but lost it only hours late to Pewdiepie once again.
YouTube has over 2 million users, it is one of the top online sites and it has an Alexa ranking at number 3. The site has several features, such as subscribing to users whom you like, this is also known as subbing or subs. Favorites videos you can save on your channel page and come back and watch at a later time. YouTube is one of the best online sites that is free, the only catch is that you must join to comment which is free, and that copyrighted material may be removed.
The displayed resolution of YouTube is 640x480 (480p), so it cannot display HD videos. However, if a video uploaded is 640x480 or higher, a small link appears below the video saying "View In Higher Quality". If this link is clicked, the quality is slightly improved, and now HD has been added.
You must be 13 or older to register an account on YouTube
Format and Quality Comparison Table
|Standard||Medium||High||HD||Mobile||Old formats (pre 2009 Feb)|
|fmt value||34, 38||18||35||22||17||none||6||13|
|Video||Encoding||MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)||MPEG-4 Part 2||H.263||H.263/AMR|
|Aspect ratio||4:3, 16:9||4:3||16:9||11:9||4:3||4:3|
|Max Resolution|| 320×240|
| Sampling rate
YouTube was purchased by Google around the time of 2007. Some say it has changed some of YouTube's policies though most of the site continues to work the same.
Several new features have been added to YouTube in the following years.
- Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down - Is a rating system used to rate comments that are like by users or disliked, these can be seen on videos that allow the thumbs to be on it.
- Insight - This is a feature that tells you about your video, such as ratings, where it was viewed, how popular it is, and other recently new breakdowns upon views such as where the most viewers where from.
- Audio Swap - Is a feature that will allow you to add or change the sound on your videos.
- Annotation - This is a feature that allows you to add notes on certain spans of your videos.
- Channels Beta - A new style of channels that have been extremely unpopular with many YouTube users.